What's Up With the Wheelers?

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Zak is here!




So we brought Zachary home from the hospital on Tuesday and have had him for 6 days. He has already made some major improvements. First of all, let me introduce all of you(my two followers so far) to Zak. He was born 9-10 at ~5 lbs. and 18" long. When Zak was born he had some withdrawal issues and was put on a weaning treatment plan and kept at the hospital until we brought him home at 5 weeks old. We have to give him oral doses every 6 hours and every Sunday the dose drops down a notch until hopefully he's done the last week of November! He's already gained almost 4 pounds! He was ~8 lbs when he was discharged to us on Tuesday and almost 9 lbs at his first Dr. appointment on Friday. He went from barely smudging his diapers, to real poos (only a parent gets excited about poo) and we're actually keeping him awake for more than an hour a day. I went back and forth wondering how easy or difficult it might be loving a baby that you didn't help bake, but have found it only takes a little time. At first, I would hold him and of course he's a sweet little baby and you can't help but coo at him. But it was definitely like I was holding a stranger's baby and didn't want to cross any lines. It didn't take long though before I was caressing his head with my cheek, kissing his sweet face, and nuzzling him against me like I had with my own children. I did have a thought the other day though. If I'm the one he's used to and bonds with and he goes home to his mom in a year, in his tiny little mind, it'll be me abandoning him and giving him away and he won't understand why. That made me very sad, but God is in this situation so I will not dwell on the scary or sad, but the hopeful and rewarding.
So that's another thing I hadn't explained yet either. It is strictly a foster placement at this time and the placement is set for 12 months. We will get to throw him his 1st birthday party!! I feel great about this time frame because it allows us to really get comfortable together and to love on him and not feel like he's like a weary traveler just stopping in for a bit.
We have weekly Dr. appointments until he's done with his treatments and I have to pick up his prescriptions each week because only the pharmacy at the hospital carries it. Even though the crowd at the clinic scares me a bit, I really like Zak's pediatrician and she really seems to know what's going on.
As for the home front, Haley always wants to hold Zak...for two seconds. And Noah is very sweet and nurturing. Even more-so than he was with Haley maybe because he's been through the new baby thing before and he's older now. He told grandma and grandpa's dog"shh Pnut, baby Zak is sleeping" and he tiptoes around him and asks to touch him and hold him. It's very sweet. There is a little more juggling around the house with three kiddos, but hey, this house is a circus anyway so what's one more clown?

1 comment:

  1. What sweet pictures! I'm so happy for you all and what you are doing for Baby Zak!

    ReplyDelete